[WikiEN-l] Administrator coup / mass deletions

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Wed Jan 27 09:47:27 UTC 2010

Gwern Branwen wrote:

> It is easier to attack than defend. If you want to justify high
> standards and removal, there are easy arguments: 'what if this could
> be another Seigenthaler?' 'what if this is fancruft Wikipedia will be
> criticized for including?'
>
> If you want to defend, you have... what? Even the mockery of _The New
> Yorker_ didn't convince several editors that [[Neil Gaiman]] should
> cover Scientology. There is no beacon example of deletionism's
> grievous errors.

Deletions can be wrong, negative, thoughtless, whatever you want to call
them. The whole inclusionism-deletionism row boils down, though, to the
idea that _sometimes_ there is a tension between quality and quantity.
Book authors know this. Non-paper hypertext authors probably have to
learn it.  You can attribute bad editing to bad faith, or to a  bad
wikiphilosophy, all you like. The discussion becomes sensible round
about the point where the abstract ideas start to relate to the concrete
realities of our "production process". The more we understand that, the
more intelligent a discussion we can have about it.

The process does exhibit an asymmetry. The many, many thousands of cases
where articles are wrongly deleted and then restored, or big cuts made
and then reverted, are less damaging to Wikipedia's reputation than the
specular examples where something was included wrongly? You bet. Ask
[[Taner Akçam]].

Charles