[WikiEN-l] Administrator coup / mass deletions

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 01:20:49 UTC 2010

I appreciate being listed as an honorable exception, but I'm not an
except. I see a lot of other people doing just the same as as I--about
3/4 of the articles I see on prod and  put aside to be worked on later
in the day, are in fact sourced by the timer I get there. sometimes,
rather superficially, sometimes better than I could do.  I think many
of  the people trying to deal with the deletions are doing as much as
we can--but it is obviously 10 or 100 times faster to tag on the basis
of impressions than to actually look for sources.

What we need to see is   other people first  trying to source,   and
tagging for deletion afterwards if needed. this gives both better
articles to keep, and more secure deletions. The latest unhelpful
variant  of people not even looking is people looking only in Google,
not google news or Books or Scholar.  If we are to remove the
worthless or the unverifiable, and there is quite a lot of both of
them,  the best way is for people listing for deletion to do as full
and honest a job of trying to source as is reasonable , and say where
they have looked, and let others who think it might be worthwhile
carry ti further.

The change that would make the biggest difference is that each person
who looks at an article for any reason , such as fixing typos or
adding categories or disam links, actually try to spot any serious
problems, not just do the routine task they came for. There are too
many BLPs that have been looked at twenty times, but none of them
carefully.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.