[WikiEN-l] Removing unsourced information

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 21:12:13 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 3:42 PM, Charles Matthews
<charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> quiddity wrote:
>> What to do about someone who has "lost the plot"?
>> For example, this editor seems to be going from article to article,
>> deleting every prose paragraph that doesn't have a ref tag (usually
>> everything except the intro sentence).
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Contributions&offset=20100125214401&target=JBsupreme
>> Some of the content being removed is obviously not good (selfpromoting
>> peacockery etc), but much is perfectly fine, and this seems to be one
>> of the worst (most indiscriminate) ways to handle the hypothetical
>> problem.
>>
> Suggest that one can drive-by even faster in adding {{fact}}? I think
> this is the first step, the suggestion that identifying unsourced facts
> is a way of achieving a similar end, and that we can all applaud it when
> properly done.
>
> Charles

And where does the {{fact}}-bombing end?

[[Medici bank]] is as finely referenced an article as I have ever (or
likely will ever) written with 96 footnotes, multiple books & papers
consulted, and extensive quoting - yet the overwhelming majority of
sentences lack <ref> tags and are presumably candidates for bombing.

--
gwern