[WikiEN-l] Removing unsourced information

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Mon Jan 25 14:56:16 UTC 2010

Apoc 2400 wrote:
> It is commonly said that anyone can remove unsourced information, and that
> the burden lies on the editor who wants to include information to provide a
> source. I have always taken this to mean that if I think something is wrong
> or otherwise does not belong in the article, then I can remove it at will if
> there is no source.
You may removed unsourced information. There is no "must" about it, of
course. This action of an editor is an example of using a permission
that comes along with Wikipedia being a wiki.
> I did not take it to mean that I could go from article
> to article and remove any sentence without a source, for no other reason
> than being unsourced. The exception of course if contentious material about
> living people, which should be removed right away if unsourced. Am I correct
> here? Has the interpretation changed recently?

Coming from the end that a wiki is a "system of permisssions", while
Wikipedia seems to be conceptualised as a collection of "policies" by
many, we can see the problem (or absence of one). Using permissions on a
wiki in a way that is a nuisance is not what the site is there for. I
don't know how many policies there are on Wikipedia that forbid mucking
around in this way, but the defence that you are allowed to do it is
mere wikilawyering. Slap with fish, and I don't care whether frozen or not.

Yah, so what I'm saying is that someone who tries to read policy
legalistically and calls that "interpretation" can be accused of losing
the plot. BLP is different, we know that, same policy framework but with
the obligation to apply it with care.

Charles