[WikiEN-l] Free data (UK government)

Liam Wyatt liamwyatt at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 02:00:53 UTC 2010

I think we should also note that one of "Wikimedia's own" was involved in
this project from the beginning. In his professional capacity (not as a
volunteer Wikimedian) former en.wp Arb - James Forrester (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jdforrester) has played an important roll
in achieving the launch of data.gov.uk and the licensing arrangement
therein. Congratulations!

I'm also guessing that is no small part of the reason why their wiki just
happens to be a heavily skinned MediaWiki :-)
http://data.gov.uk/wiki/User:Jdforrester

Now that it's live - I'd love to see if we can demonstrate some innovative
re-use cases of the UK datasets on en.WP to help justify to the UK gov't
(and other governments who are investigating releasing their data freely -
like my own here in Australia) the positive outcomes of making their content
available both Gratis and Libre.

You might also be interested in Creative Commons' own blogpost about this

Sincerely,
-Liam [[witty lama]]

wittylama.com/blog
Peace, love & metadata