[WikiEN-l] Administrator coup / mass deletions

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Thu Jan 21 22:27:29 UTC 2010

Gwern Branwen wrote:
>  I see a lot of mindless fetishism
> of sourcing here,
Oh, and "mindless fetishsim" about content, too. Let's remember that
there is a definite mission, which is to write a reference work. It is
not a new idea that encyclopedic works should cite their sources.
> but suppose Cunctator resurrected an article and
> stuck in a random newspaper article for the claim 'Foo was married in
> 1967.' Nobody disputed that before; nobody disputed that after; no new
> information was added. How *exactly* is the article better?
It is different. It is certainly not worse. The information about where
to find the information has been added. There is a certain 'presentism'
about the argument, even though you've chosen a date before most
Wikipedians were born. It is (a) not obvious that information about
marriages is undisputed (one of my problem BLPs had just this issue
about whether someone was a wife or not, and (b) not obvious that you
can always find a published source for births, deaths and marriages.

> Is it
> better because some hypothetical viewer might one day go, hm, I wonder
> if he really was married in 1967, and will look at the cite and be
> relieved?
>
> Speaking from personal experience on the _Evangelion_ articles: I have
> on multiple occasions spent hours or weeks tracking down some fact
> widely accepted amongst Eva fans & academic commentators to its
> original source and found it.  And then felt a sick hollow feeling as
> I realize that all I have done is waste my life satisfying RS
> standards, when the fans and professors knew it all along because they
> trust each other and their forebears and can see for themselves the
> consilience of all those commonly accepted facts.

So you have made available to 300 million-odd readers of Wikipedia facts
that were available to the cognoscenti, now in a way that does not
involve "trust". I would probably not spend time in such quantities
fact-checking mathematics, where I have an idea of reputations in the
first place; but I seem to be doing plenty of fact-checking right now in
an area of history where I have little background and don't know whether
the scholarship of what I'm working on is cast-iron. I believe scholars
traditionally got these blues (as well as piles, perhaps not unconnected).

Charles