[WikiEN-l] Google bows to censorship

Sage Ross ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 15:14:57 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Google has agreed to take down links to a website that promotes racist views of indigenous Australians.

This story says the SMH one is misleading:
http://www.inquisitr.com/57105/aus-media-gets-ed-story-wrong/

The statement from Google in that story is
"We respond to complaints and review them by reference to local law.
In this case, we have removed the search results on google.com.au
linking to the pages identified to us by a legal request. In the
interest of transparency, the search results now provide notice that
pages have been removed in response to a legal request and in their
place is a link to Chilling Effects."

The complaint was sent it the Australian Human Rights Commission, and
it appears they decided the links were against Australian law and
asked Google to remove them.

-Sage