[WikiEN-l] The story of an article

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Mon Jan 4 21:25:48 UTC 2010

On 01/04/2010 12:45 PM, David Gerard wrote:

> What was Aaron Swartz's numbers - a huge percentage of the actual text
> kept in articles added by anons? Then heavily processed by the
> regulars.
>
> But keeping out the n00bs is how to make Wikipedia decline into complacency.

Makes sense to me. If nothing else, the non-garbage noob article
contributions are great signals that a) there is a topic that some
reader wants covered, b) where they expect to find it, and c) what they
want to see there. All those are very valuable. Any actual content they
provide strikes me as a bonus.

Plus, if we do it right, we've given them a taste of the heady power of
making something happen on the internet. If you look at every editor
active today who has been around more than a year, what percentage of
their earliest contributions do you think have stayed? Pretty low, I'd
guess.

I just looked and my first contribution is long gone, but I don't care.
It was enough to hook me for at least 5 years of intermittent
involvement and cash donations, with many more to come.

William