[WikiEN-l] Why we need a good WYSIWYG editor

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 14:23:29 UTC 2010

Edit completion rate - someone not merely clicking "edit", but
actually editing and hitting save - goes *way* up. Based on Wikia's
experience:

http://wikiangela.com/blog/end-of-2009/#comment-26732
http://twitter.com/joshuaclerner/status/3602544810

Wikitext used to be a lot simpler. Now it's impenetrable computer
code. This is not good enough.

There are all sorts of reasons why WYSIWYG editing in Mediawiki is a
Hard Problem. But FCKeditor is really very good these days and I'd
strongly recommend it for any fresh wikis. Turning it loose on
existing piles of wikitext such as, ooh, en:wp, is probably a
different matter.

- d.