[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia is not a dictionary (was: Re: Old Wikipedia backups discovered)

Ian Woollard ian.woollard at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 01:10:04 UTC 2010

On 29/12/2010, David Levy <lifeisunfair at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ian Woollard wrote:
>
>> But right now the WMF doesn't have an encyclopedic dictionary, so if
>> we put those articles in the Wikipedia, and labelled them, and gave
>> them their own policies, then the people that want to write them will
>> be happy, and the people that want to read them won't learn much if
>> any encyclopedic information, but at least they'll know what they're
>> getting, whereas right now the Wikipedia is implying that they're
>> getting encyclopedic stuff, which they really aren't.
>
> Your opinion of what constitutes "encyclopedic stuff" differs from
> that of the English Wikipedia community at large.

I'd like to borrow your magic machine that you seem to think you have
that you apparently think tells you what entire communities think some
time.

Irrespective of that perhaps we should try to ensure popular buy-in to
sensible decisions, as opposed to popular buy-in to popular decisions.

That is so often so very easy, but not always so very helpful.

--
-Ian Woollard