[WikiEN-l] Eschatology and Wikipedia

Peter Coombe thewub.wiki at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 22 09:53:32 UTC 2010

On 22 December 2010 07:27, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22 December 2010 00:17, Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Actually, I often see things that need fixing, but I'm in "look up"
>> mode and using Wikipedia as a starting point for finding some
>> information I'm after, and often don't have the time to even make a
>> note to come back to the article later. If I see things that need
>> fixing when I'm in "Wikipedian" mode, I do fix things then (but even
>> then, there is a trade-off between temp fix now, or detailed fix that
>> will take more time). It comes back to that trade-off in time spent
>> doing other things.
>

> Hm. I often hit "edit" on a section just to fix a typo I've spotted in
> passing. Resisting the time-sucking qualities is, of course, a problem. But
> when I'm reading other wikis I'll also happily hit edit to fix a typo (if
> they allow IP editing).
>

> - d.

I do think there are fewer opportunities for such "easy" edits on
Wikipedia now. Typos seem to be far less common thanks to
semi-automated tools such as AWB, and most articles are generally more
mature. Plus the wikicode of articles grows ever more intimidating.

Has anyone analysed if the number of new contributors has risen since
the Usability Project improvements? Obviously that was one of the
major aims.

Pete / the wub