[WikiEN-l] Eschatology and Wikipedia

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 00:05:20 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 3:58 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21 December 2010 23:55, Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 11:04 PM, wiki <doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>> But..... where we are in competition with others is for the time of the
>>> undergraduate/graduate who sits down to squander some time on the internet.
>
>> I've had similar thoughts, but more general, thinking that the
>> internet in general has more potential for people to "waste their
>> time" than ever before. How many scientific theorems and great books
>

> I was chatting with User:Ciphergoth the other week about getting
> people involved in stuff. He occasionally asks people "if you see a
> typo in Wikipedia, do you fix it?" And people *just don't do that*.
> This is something that needs remedying.

A) Yes, people should feel free to just fix it; not enough do.

B) Many studies indicate that our core contributors are large chunks
of the total content add process, and we need to not lose track of
that, while simultaneously encouraging anons to just fix typos and the
like.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com