[WikiEN-l] Eschatology and Wikipedia

wiki doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com
Tue Dec 21 23:04:18 UTC 2010

On competition:

In terms of on-line encyclopedias Wikipedia has no effective competition. If
you sit to research, you'll look at Wikipedia. If you want to contribute it
will be Wikipedia.

But..... where we are in competition with others is for the time of the
undergraduate/graduate who sits down to squander some time on the internet.
He's got any number of choices - what we draw him to Wikipedia and make him
stick around? I wonder that the downturn in Wikipedia contributions is due
largely to their being more "grown up" social networking phenomena than
there were in 2004. Now, it is tempting to say that the fact that the
"myspacers" have buggered off is not bad thing - but I wonder how many
intelligent, educated people are now squandering time on Facebook who once
might have been Wikipedia contributors? As Facebook adds bells and whistles
and Wikipedia's interface becomes more tired and (relatively) less friendly
to new users - does this continue?

How much is the Foundation investing in software development? I was appalled
last year to discover that the flagship of flagged revisions had been
entrusted to some guy named Aaron who was doing it between exams! How do you
ever hope to keep up if that's the level of commitment to development? (No
disrespect to Aaron who was probably working his butt off!)

On ability to adapt:

I could not disagree more with GWH here. I think en.wp greatest weakness is
that it is largely leaderless, and tied to a consensus model that simply
doesn't allow for change much at all.

To quote myself (a real sign of vanity) "Wikipedia isn't governed by the
thoughtful or the informed - it is governed by anyone who turns up. ...
There are a larger group who are too immature or lazy to think straight. And
then there are all those who recognise "something must be done", but
perpetually oppose the something that's being proposed in favour of a
"better idea". The mechanism is rather like using a chatshow phone-in to
manage the intricacies of a federal budget - it does not work for issues
that need time, thought, responsibility and attention. I doubt this problem
can be fixed - since it needs structural change to decision making - which
is impossible for precisely the same reasons."

Scott