[WikiEN-l] Eschatology and Wikipedia

wiki doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com
Tue Dec 21 20:36:54 UTC 2010

This is a dangerous thread.

It is certainly the case that Wikipedia has exceeded all expectations (not
least of those who set it up) and confounded the naysayers, Jeremiahs, and
doom merchants. No doubt there's some justification in digging up falsified
eschatological visions and gloating with hindsight at their folly. However,
there's a problem here - and the problem is the great monstrous beast of
complacency.

For if we say, "we endured even all this - and so with righteousness we will
survive the ages, even unto the end", then we are in danger of creating a
myth of invulnerability, based on the preservation of the wiki-saints, which
can only serve to prevent us heeding genuine prophets of future dangers.
Beware the true apocalypse. "Let Him That Thinketh He Standeth Take Heed
Lest He Fall"

It would be far more profitable (or prophet-able) to seek to divine the
undoubted demons ahead, that we might remain strong unto the end.

If I dare to be a seer, I worry about software that looks increasingly 2004
in a Facebook world.

And I'd be interested to wonder what other nightmares of the future keep the
Wiki-saints in fear and trembling.