[WikiEN-l] Eschatology and Wikipedia

Tony Sidaway tonysidaway at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 19:58:54 UTC 2010

Since Wikipedia grew and became more ambitious in its scope, there
have been predictions of its downfall, many of them giving an estimate
for the timescale of its demise.  If you hunt around you may find a
prediction by me that Wikipedia was unlikely to survive much beyond
2010 because I thought it would decline in populatrity. Since then
Wikipedia has cemented itself into the fabric of modern culture and
become particularly useful in academia, where its strengths and
limitations are now well understood.

Reading the references Joseph Reagle's book I encountered this:

http://blog.ericgoldman.org/archives/2006/12/wikipedia_will_1.htm

Wikipedia, it appears, was destined to die within four years--by
December 5, 2010, because it would be involved in an unwinnable war
with marketers,

Since it's Christmas, the new year is coming, and we'll soon be
bouncing out of that into a celebration of Wikipedia's first decade,
perhaps now it the time to look back at the predictions of Wikipedia's
demise.

What are your favorite predictions of Wikideath?