[WikiEN-l] CZ fork: Tendrl

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 21:41:51 UTC 2010

The problem will always be with us; by our basic nature, we cannot
compel people to work on anything except what they want to work on.
The success from the start has been driven by hobbyists, people coming
specifically to write on what interests them and nothing else; the
only way to get a wider diversity of knowledgable writing is to
attract a wider diversity of hobbyists. Areas where there are few such
people will inevitably be short changed--achieving balanced coverage
of different topics is possible only with conventional editorial
control.

Butthere is no reason why we should necessarily cover every field to
the same degree of thoroughness. We are not the only encyclopedia in
the world, and I hope we will never become one.  If I were running EB,
I'd use as much Wikipedia content as possible and have the paid
writers add the ones that are missing; that's of course what
Citizendium should have done, but Larry insisted on starting from
scratch.

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 4:27 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11 December 2010 20:55, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Daniel R. Tobias <dan at tobias.name> wrote:
>
>>> ...if you favor a top-down authoritarian model in which nobody
>>> outside a small ruling clique has any say in things.
>
>> You make it sound like a bad thing.
>

> Wikipedia is, of course, a miserable failure. How can we duplicate this failure?
>

> - d.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.