[WikiEN-l] CZ fork: Tendrl

Tony Sidaway tonysidaway at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 17:36:47 UTC 2010

I know everybody is tired of hearing me bang on about this, but the
whole "Featured article" edifice has always seemed dubious to me. It
seems to concentrate our limited resources on a tiny number of
articles, and the emphasis has always been more on dotting eyes and
crossing tees than improving overall quality of coverage.

At least one intensive study has shown that much of Wikipedia works
best when multiple loosely committed editors (domain experts) add most
of the useful content then Wikipedians take care of filtering and
improving presentation. I don't see anything wrong with that; there's
no way that our relatively small active userbase (and it was *always*
small) could have built this huge encyclopedia.

If we're getting fewer people jumping in and adding stuff, at least
part of the reason is that nearly everything that is worth adding is
already here and by now most people know the line of material we are
likely to reject.

Exponential growth was never an expectation of the Wikipedia project.