[WikiEN-l] Amazonified Wikipedia

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Fri Dec 3 14:21:59 UTC 2010

On 3 December 2010 13:54, wiki <doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Contrary to the description, this is not a Wikipedia page at all. The page
> has no relationship to Wikipedia. This is an *Amazon* page validly using CC
> free material that has come from Wikipedia. It is reasonable to presume that
> the casual reader might assume a commercial link between the WMF and Amazon
> which does not exist - and that the description tends to imply that.

I think I've finally worked out the bit that particularly nagged at me
- other than the logo in the corner, Amazon themselves are mentioned
only once (as a link), and we're named five times, two of those
explicitly indicating us as the source without any caveats.

Maybe we should get our own back, and create "encyclopedia-enabled
Amazon pages" - mirror the (rather recognisable) Amazon book pages,
replacing the links to buy other books with links to our articles, put
our logo in the top, splash their name everywhere, and see if they
squeal... ;-)

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk