[WikiEN-l] IPA issues

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Wed Apr 28 19:01:00 UTC 2010

Nathan wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 5:33 AM, Peter Jacobi <peter_jacobi at gmx.net> wrote:
>

>> You forget an important point. enWP has many readers and contributors with English as second language. They usually use IPA as reference how English is pronounced and have been taught English this way. So effectively IPA is more native to them than all these ugly English pronunciation guides.
>>

>> Regards,
>> Peter
>>

> I honestly find that hard to believe; nothing I've seen written about
> IPA on this list, or on the [[IPA]] article, suggests that it is
> widely used for any purpose outside academic linguistics.
Oops, if the world contradicts the list and a WP article, the world is
out of step?

Anyway, not much googling on TEFL and IPA needed to find this quote:

"Pronunciation guidance is a major feature of leading EFL dictionaries
such as the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary (OALD) and the Longman
Dictionary of Contemporary English (LDOCE), which are regularly revised
and updated. These and authoritative pronunciation-only dictionaries
such as Wells (2000) make use of IPA symbols to indicate pronunciation."

Charles