[WikiEN-l] IPA issues

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 05:31:49 UTC 2010

To me IPA is likely to remain one of the  scripts I will never learn,
and whether I ought to learn it is besides the point The enWP is
written in English. The explanations are in English. The
pronunciations have to be given in a form English readers can read,
even if it is only approximate. sound files would be wonderful, to be
real they should be pronunciation by a native speaker of the
appropriate language, not a machine. And there still needs to be an
English readable and writeable equivalent, because someone might want
something to transcribe as text.

Certainly a more correct pronunciation guide should be given, and we
should continue using IPA also, and consider ourselves  fortunate that
there is only a single  standard.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.