[WikiEN-l] Is a book cover in a Signpost book review an acceptable exemption from the non-free content policy?

Sage Ross ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 22:53:34 UTC 2010

Greg, I agree with much of your analysis, but depart at a few points.

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>
>The only justification for
> including any non-free works on english wikipedia is that doing so is
> widely accepted to be a necessity (on EN, at least) to accomplish our
> stated mission as an encyclopaedia, and it so happens that kind of
> necessity has long been understood by the lawmakers and the courts, so
> that it's clearly permitted.
>
> Both of these aspects are necessary components of the reasoning, and
> it's not at all clear that the signpost is itself essential, even less
> so that signpost being hosted by Wikimedia is essential, and I think
> it would be patently ridiculous to say that the signpost being able to
> use particular images is essential for the project mission...

It's true that the Signpost itself, much less non-free images in the
Signpost, are not strictly essential to the mission of Wikipedia. But
then, neither are most non-free images that we do allow.  Some images
are more essential than others; [[Raising the Flag on Iwo Jima]] is
quite a different matter from the typical article about a book or
album where the cover isn't explicitly discussed.  And for that
matter, many articles themselves aren't strictly necessary, insomuch
as inclusion policy is under-determined by the project mission and in
some ways arbitrary.  Essential-ness is relative.

I would argue that reviews of Wikipedia-related books are at least as
important to furthering the mission of the project as a lot of the
article space content that we categorically allow.

<snip>
> Part of the notion behind being particular about non-project usage is
> that it fosters a culture of being particular about copyright— without
> an acute awareness of the restrictions that copyright can place on
> usage, we couldn't hope to minimize problems which would diminish the
> usefulness of the project. The tighter rules outside of project space
> give us an opportunity to hone our skills on alternatives and dispense
> some nit-picking energy in a place where it doesn't harm the end
> project. It also helps make it more clear that the state of the rest
> of the project is a reasoned compromise between extremes. ("See, our
> acceptance of non-free works doesn't mean we hate freedom. We have a
> hard prohibition against it everwhere else!")

It seems to me that book reviews are one area where both legally and
culturally, fair use has been pretty well carved out such copyright
isn't much of a restriction on freedom.  We're curtailing our own
freedom for the sake of painting a lot of different situations with
the same brush.

Nevertheless, I see that there's enough pushback from people who
recognize that an exception could be made in a case like this but
don't think it should be that I'll drop it.

-Sage