[WikiEN-l] Is a book cover in a Signpost book review an acceptable exemption from the non-free content policy?

Sage Ross ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 17:03:26 UTC 2010

I'd like to get a little wider input on this issue.  Tony1 is
reviewing a recent academic book about Wikipedia for the Signpost, and
we'd like to include an image of the cover in the review:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Book_cover_O%27Sullivan.jpg

Unfortunately, since the Signpost is project space, this violates the
letter of the policy, but (in my view) neither the letter nor the
spirit of the Foundation-level directives for non-free content.  Is
this (and other Signpost book reviews in the future, perhaps) a valid
case an exemption to the non-free content policy?

It's being discussed on-wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Non-free_content#Book_cover_images_in_critical_reviews_of_books_on_WP_in_The_Signpost
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Non-free_content_criteria_exemptions#Book_cover_images_in_critical_reviews_of_books_on_WP_in_The_Signpost

-Sage (user:ragesoss)