[WikiEN-l] Age fabrication and original research

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Wed Sep 30 13:42:09 UTC 2009

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009, FT2 wrote:
> Verifiability not truth is probably one of the most poorly understood
> expressions on the wiki.
>
> It roughly means that we document what can be factually checked, in
> preference to what we "believe".

Unfortunately, "roughly" isn't "precisely".

This argument started with a verifiable-but-false claim which was factually
checked, but where we're not allowed to use the result of the fact-checking
(since it was a primary source and secondary sources take preference).
The covered bridge example was also one ("I fact-checked the source by looking
at the bridge.  The source was wrong." is not acceptable.)