[WikiEN-l] Age fabrication and original research

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 01:05:15 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 7:43 PM, Rob <gamaliel8 at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> matter, but my opinion is irrelevant and we should defer to published
> sources.  Verifiability not truth and all that.  Or should we IAR in
> cases like this and go with the "correct" date?

You can usually punt and say "This primary source says X; these other
references say Y" (with the implied: If this matters to you, go figure
it out for yourself).

We should avoid false certainty, the world is a complicated and
confusing case. When a question of fact is hard NPOV instructs us to
take a step back and address the meta-fact instead.