[WikiEN-l] Invitation for review

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Sep 28 08:42:49 UTC 2009

George Herbert wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 2:05 PM, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> There is a mailing list for block reviews, this isn't it. We also
>> don't usually get into discussing specific content issues here unless
>> there is a point of wider significance to the encyclopedia.
>>
>> You believe Holocaust denial can only be defined using the separate
>> definitions of "Holocaust" and "denial", and want the article to
>> reflect your definition. Others state (correctly) that the term
>> "Holocaust denial" taken as a whole is used to refer specifically to
>> denial of the Holocaust of Jews (Shoah). Perhaps if we try to glean
>> wider significance from this incident, it would be in the area of
>> dealing with specious arguments from editors of long tenure who have
>> become sophisticated in their misuse of dispute processes.
>>
> This dispute looks either like some combination of original research,
> disruption, or possibly active but intellectual support of holocaust
> denialists.

Original research perhaps; disruption perhaps, but it is dishonest to
call it "intellectual support of holocaust denialists."  Expanding a
term to a wider application certainly does not equate to holocaust
denial.  It merely recognizes the plain fact that those who deny the
suffering of other victims than the dominant group are just as guilty of
denying the Holocaust.

I don't dispute that the Jews were the dominant victims of the
Holocaust, but it is extremely disturbing when some appear to abuse that
dominance to minimize the suffering of others.  That the victimized Jews
were more numerous than the others increases the likelihood that they
have relatives to write about them. The higher value that Jews attach to
literacy also increases the same likelihood.  Gays had a much lower
number of progeny to write on their behalf.  So I fully expect that more
will be written by Jews about Jews, but the smaller numbers of others
does not make the fate of those others any less tragic.

Ec