[WikiEN-l] So what does Flagged Revs feel like?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 10:20:46 UTC 2009

If you want to know how Flagged Revisions feels from an unprivileged
position, go to Wikinews and fix typos. I just did this on
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Geelong_win_2009_Australian_Football_League_Grand_Final
- check the history. I'm not an admin or reviewer on en:wn.

What did it feel like? Curiously unsatisfying. The fix not going live
immediately left me wondering just when it would - five minutes/? An
hour? A day? It felt nothing like editing a wiki - it felt like I'd
submitted a form to a completely opaque bureaucracy for review at
their leisure.

Don't take my word for it - go typo-fixing on Wikinews and tell me how
it feels to you.

So, yeah. I remain a big fan of flagged revisions for those times when
we need it - basically, as a less-worse alternative to protection or
semiprotection. But it really does kill the wiki motivational buzz
dead.

- d.