[WikiEN-l] Oversized criticism sections and WP:UNDUE (was: Notability and ski resorts)

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 09:45:01 UTC 2009

2009/9/26 Charles Matthews <charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com>:

> Traditionally, though, the problem has been underestimated. One need not
> adopt the language of "regulatory capture", as David Gerard does, to
> look the issues in the eye:
> (1) There is actually no substantive consensus position that uncivil
> editors are a net negative to the site;

That's not quite what I said - I pointed out that one of the most
consistently incivil admins was actually getting a free pass on
grossly abusive sockpuppeting - which would have had any other admin
deadminned in a trice - because significant numbers of arbitrators
feared his wrath. Two arbs who were disgusted with this state of
affairs resigned the arbcom because of this - rather than the ones who
were in thrall resigning. It's part of why the incivility issue isn't
addressed, rather than part of addressing it per se.

- d.