[WikiEN-l] Oversized criticism sections and WP:UNDUE (was: Notability and ski resorts)

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Fri Sep 25 21:36:15 UTC 2009

> David Gerard wrote:
>> I'm entirely unsure the arbcom isn't an idea whose time has run, at
>> least in its present form - it needs a shakeup to avert the regulatory
>> capture.
>>
> Hmmm.  To do that I suppose you would have to create some rules on who
> can run.  Maybe bar admins from running for starters, that might reduce
> the risk of arbcom siding with admins. I don't think the community would
> allow Jimmy to appoint as he sees fit anymore, but if the board mandated
> a couple of seats had to be reserved fro picks, that might shake things
> up.  That would involve the board getting down in the mud though, which
> they try not to do.

It is more a matter of editors taking back the wiki from the tiny
minority that is abusing others. You can't vote for people who openly
advocate not enforcing civility rules and expect the arbitration
committee to do much. Look back in the history of the arbitration
committee and you will find that its original purpose was to deal with
gross violations of Wikiquette, see

http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2003-October/006928.html

Erik Moeller wrote:

"RK was tolerated because he contributed good material. But how much good
material has not been contributed because of his well documented
behavioral problems? In my opinion, we need to set clearer rules on
Wikiquette and be serious about enforcing them, with a well-defined
protocol of warning, temporary banning, permanent banning etc. Maybe
there could be a 5-10 member Wikiquette "committee" where violations
could be reported and decisions would be made by voting."

Fred