[WikiEN-l] Oversized criticism sections and WP:UNDUE (was: Notability and ski resorts)

Surreptitiousness surreptitious.wikipedian at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 25 21:22:20 UTC 2009

Charles Matthews wrote:
> Surreptitiousness wrote:
>
>> George Herbert wrote:

>>> You can't just throw out a possible new arbcom membership requirement
>>> without considering the effects.
>>>

>> You can't? Is this why nothing ever changes?  People are too scared too
>> propose anything radical?
>>
> We're not short of proposals, usually.
Having just nullified a load of inactive proposals, I can attest to
that.  I was wondering if there was a better way to organise historical
and rejected proposals, but after a moment's thought I filed it away as
too much work for too little return.
>  Progress could be made with
> further functions being split off, in the way that ban appeals are now a
> subcommittee function. There is no particular reason why socking or
> civility cases shouldn't be handled in this fashion, where the evidence
> is clear-cut enough (the usual case).
I actually thought socking was devolved to the community through
Wikipedia:Sockpuppet investigations and Wikipedia:Sock puppetry.
Civility is harder to quantify.  The community clearly feels it si an
important policy, there was a recent RFC which stood behind it.  I think
there's a rewrite under-way regarding the policy itself.  I'd certainly
welcome a civility board though as a move forwards.
>  The kind of radical change people
> don't want to see is from something monolithic that works (despite
> grumbling) to something else equally monolithic that is a complete step
> in the dark and unknown quantity. And don't forget that proposals have
> been howled down, in living memory - at least if you take a pile-on of a
> dozen people to be an expression of public opinion.

Having invested a large amount of time on a howled down proposal,
WP:ATT, I need no reminder of that. I tried to poke some sort of life
back into the Wikipedia:Advisory Council on Project Development but it
didn;t come to aught.  I think that one is going to die, no-one wants to
take it forwards.