[WikiEN-l] Oversized criticism sections and WP:UNDUE (was: Notability and ski resorts)

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 20:29:51 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Surreptitiousness
<surreptitious.wikipedian at googlemail.com> wrote:
> David Gerard wrote:
>> I'm entirely unsure the arbcom isn't an idea whose time has run, at
>> least in its present form - it needs a shakeup to avert the regulatory
>> capture.
>>
> Hmmm.  To do that I suppose you would have to create some rules on who
> can run.  Maybe bar admins from running for starters, that might reduce
> the risk of arbcom siding with admins. I don't think the community would
> allow Jimmy to appoint as he sees fit anymore, but if the board mandated
> a couple of seats had to be reserved fro picks, that might shake things
> up.  That would involve the board getting down in the mud though, which
> they try not to do.

You can't just throw out a possible new arbcom membership requirement
without considering the effects.

Practically - arbcom is going to come from people who already populate
AN and ANI, admins and others.  Nobody else is aware enough of the
abuse issues and problems that crop up.

There are some people on ANI who aren't admins and also aren't at
least somewhat of a problem case.  But most of those are on the path
to be admins or have been asked and have declined.

I am not sure if we want the others as Arbcom members.  That would be
pretty much the opposite of what David is trying to get at, I think.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com