[WikiEN-l] Oversized criticism sections and WP:UNDUE (was: Notability and ski resorts)

Surreptitiousness surreptitious.wikipedian at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 25 11:19:48 UTC 2009

stevertigo wrote:
> George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Arbcom's job description and writ of authority don't include
>> adjudicating policy.
>> Suggestions that they might expand to do that, generally made by
>> community members, have been shot down by the community writ large and
>> by arbcom.
>>

> Hm. This came up recently at WP:Arbitration/Requests/Case&oldid=312162973
>
> Wikidemon wrote: "In short form, Arbcom is not the place to propose
> changes to policies and guidelines. It is not empowered to do so, so
> there is nothing actionable for Arbcom to decide based on this
> request."
>
> Me: 'A court that cannot legislate from the bench - strike
> down law, uphold current law, (or portions thereof) - is not called a
> "court," it's called a "police station." [Which] makes the
> concept plain that an unempowered court cannot even "uphold" law, as
> it has no power to do otherwise. It can however, "parrot" law. Which,
> sort of sums up Wikipedia's dispute resolution affairs quite nicely.'
I've always lamented the fact that people have no idea what arbitration
means on Wikipedia.  That's one of the biggest reasons why arb-com is
such a failure, no-one ever treats its decisions as final. Arb-com
doesn't have to legislate, that's not its purpose.  Its purpose is to
hear complaints and arbitrate them.  It started going wrong when people
started expecting it to behave like a court or a policeman. Another
damaging blow comes from people who wriggle like worms when stuck on a
hook.  I know six year olds who have a better ability to admit to
wrong-doing than some grown adults on Wikipedia. Although, I am only
assuming they are grown ups.  Have we ever established the lowest age of
a Wikipedian? You can't help but wonder if a new class of remedy which
bans disruptive editors from talk pages might be an improvement.  Let us
judge them by their editing!