[WikiEN-l] Oversized criticism sections and WP:UNDUE (was: Notability and ski resorts)

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Thu Sep 24 14:18:55 UTC 2009

Apoc 2400 wrote:
> This discussion about splitting off sections to articles, notability and
> undue weight reminded me of something I encountered recently:
>
> What do you do if you find an article with a short description of the
> subject followed by a huge criticism/controversy section with subsections
> for every negative opinion about the subject ever published? It is sourced
> so just removing most of it will get you reverted by the people who wrote
> the article.

Hmm, I thought such "criticism sections" had been deprecated for quite a
few years now. One thing to do is to add {{criticism section}}, the
wording of which is what I recall (that criticism is better integrated
into an article).  In the hugeness case the integration would make the
article look like the "attack article" it probably is.

None of WP:CRIT, WP:NOCRIT and WP:CRIS addressing the issue seem to have
made it past being an essay into a guideline.

Charles