[WikiEN-l] Wikimedian image restorations exploited on eBay

Steve Summit scs at eskimo.com
Tue Sep 22 20:01:46 UTC 2009

Durova wrote:
> David's posts really looked like a bizarre attempt to bait me
> into a flame war just as the thread had reached its natural end.
> As in: 'No no, you can't walk away.  You started this thread and
> I don't like what I think I understand and I'm angry at you about that.'

I'd characterize the reaction as exasperated, not angry.

I saw several people who really seemed to want to help you, but
they either honestly weren't sure what you wanted help with, or
they wanted to more carefully explore the actual legality/illegality
of that eBay seller's actions.

Lots of people here have a sort of "I'm from Missouri, show me"
attitude.  They're not going to blindly take your word for it
that (say) a certain eBay seller is evil and should be loathed;
they want to weight the evidence first.  (And this isn't a bad
thing -- it helps prevent lynch mobs.)  They're happy to help
you, but they're not willing to let you dictate the terms under
which they'll help you.

I certainly didn't see any flamebaiting.  That's kind of a
serious accusation.  (I confess I've seen what to me looked
a lot like drama, but I'm certainly not going to accuse anyone
of that.)