[WikiEN-l] Notability and ski resorts (was: Newbie and not-so-newbie biting)

Surreptitiousness surreptitious.wikipedian at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 22 17:18:02 UTC 2009

Charles Matthews wrote:

> At present we are still holding to some version of
> the old idea that "less is more": we don't allow articles that scroll on
> for ever, and we try to have people adopt a concise style with good
> focus. There will always be the argument that this is faintly
> ridiculous, and "more is more". But there are huge advantages to the way
> we now operate: we can for example think in terms of off-topic pieces of
> information as "weeds", i.e. plants in the wrong place. It is certainly
> true that there is maintenance to be done when topics are not allowed to
> ramble. But I think a Wikipedia in which info was just "appended"
> somewhere, rather than quite carefully placed by definite topic, would
> be harder to use.
To carry on the plant analogy, there are instances when sometimes plants
get too big, either for their pots or for the garden.  The approach
takjen depends on the plant.  Some plants you split, some plants you
prune and some plants you re-pot. I'm not sure I'd ever see a garden
manual direct you to never split a plant, so I'm not sure why we should
have guidance which can be used to claim you should never split an
article.  I fail to see why it cannot be left to editorial judgement as
to when to split, and to consensus as to whether the split is a good
idea or not. It's all well and good framing an argument for the worst
possible instances, but that misses the point that we're really looking
for best practises, and best practise would be to do what's best for the
encyclopedia. To go back to the idea that books have chapters, we can
use that approach on Wikipedia, and view each article as a distinct
chapter.  Obviously this requires effort and thought, care and
attention, but I think it is better than the approach which only allows
notable subjects to be spun out. After all, once you have spun out all
the notable sunbjects from your main article, what have you got left
there?  And let's not forget that if we're looking at books, we have to
take into account appendixes, something you have to fight to justify on
Wikipedia.  That list you want to split from your large FA?  Hmm, is it
a notable list? That list you want to include in your paper based
subject specific encyclopedia?  Certainly, Appendix A. I don't pretend
to have any answers, all I'm asking for is thought and an attempt to
address the actuality in front of editors rather than underhand attempts
to protect an entire empire of rules.  But I think on that at least we
agree. We both appear to want fewer rules.