[WikiEN-l] Mailing list policy

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 13:11:23 UTC 2009

2009/9/22  <wjhonson at aol.com>:
> The group itself should be able to have a voice in what is and what is not policy for the group.

Absolutely. The WMF hosts the lists, so has a veto, but generally
policy should be entirely determined by the users. Mods interpreting
that policy can result in what is essentially new policy, though. (The
same happens in law - judges often create new law when judging a
specific case.)

> As well the group should be able to know what *policy-based* actions are being taken and why.
>
> Shining light on moderator actions, ensures that moderators take action that is fair, impartial, and applied evenly across the entire group.

For the most part, I agree. I can imagine situations where it is best
to keep things quiet, but they would be very rare.