[WikiEN-l] Jimmy Wales post on Huffington Post

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 02:58:39 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 7:17 AM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> An objectivist in a liberal blog? It happens.
>
> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jimmy-wales/what-the-msm-gets-wrong-a_b_292809.html
>
> (It's a piece about our remarkably accuracy-deficient coverage in the
> media in the last month or so. What happens when there's nothing to
> write about and people like me end up on telly.)

Hmm, I feel that Wales' post is kind of at cross-purposes to the meme
he's trying to defeat:
1) Meme: Newbie editors who make edits to random articles will require
those edits to be approved before going live.
2) Rebuttal: Newbie editors will now be able to make edits to
currently protected articles, albeit with those edits requiring
approval.

He never explicitly address the issue of editing non-BLP,
non-protected pages. So to me it comes across like a politician's or a
corporation's misdirect ("This isn't a tax, this is extending
healthcare!" or "You think our prices are going up, but we're actually
introducing the cheapest product we've ever had!")

(I'm not accusing Jimmy of anything underhand or any conspiracy - but
I think his post promises a bit more rebuttal than it actually
delivers.)

Steve

Steve