[WikiEN-l] Historical text highlighting wiki gadget

Aaron Halfaker half0032 at umn.edu
Mon Sep 21 18:57:18 UTC 2009

I'm sure many of you caught the news
article(http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/08/wikitrust/) about
Adler and Alfaro's research(http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1242572.1242608)
in wiki trustability being applied to live Wikipedia. It just so happens
that I have been working on a similar problem from a completely
different direction during my research and am ready to share this work
with the community.  I have designed and implemented a user script
modification that I call HAPPI and am currently running a
non-profit/academic analysis of its usefulness.  The script adds a
couple of new controls that will appear over the edit pane.  These
controls will allow you to toggle the highlighting of wiki text while
you edit it.  If you'd like to give it a try, please see the
documentation page and consent form for more information.

Screenshot: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/37/HAPPI_example.png
Documentation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EpochFail/HAPPI
Consent form: http://wikipedia.grouplens.org/HAPPI/consent

-Aaron Halfaker