[WikiEN-l] Wikimedian image restorations exploited on eBay

Michael Peel email at mikepeel.net
Sat Sep 19 21:47:07 UTC 2009

On 19 Sep 2009, at 21:47, Ray Saintonge wrote:

> Credit to "Wikipedia" is about as much as you can realistically
> expect.
> For the many who don't even realize that they can edit themselves
> Wikipedia is only one monolithic entity.  The thought process that
> distinguishes individual Wikipedia contributors from the monolith only
> begins when they become aware of their own ability to edit.

This may be true for text, but it isn't true in the case of media files.

I've uploaded a number of photographs taken by myself to Commons, and
they've been appropriately credited mostly as I've requested (i.e. to
my name) in various non-Wiki places.

As long as the requested attribution is clear on the image page
(possible caveat: and is required by the license), then most
reputable places will attribute correctly. There are always some
notable repeat offenders, which can be taken to task, and the odd
mistake/someone not knowing better. But on the whole, people do read
the attribution section of the information boxes.

Mike