[WikiEN-l] Newbie and not-so-newbie biting

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Sat Sep 19 10:25:16 UTC 2009

Emily Monroe wrote:
> Yeah, it does seem to me that the more "spammy" the article, the more
> likely the person simply doesn't know of Wikipedia's COI, spam, and
> notability requirements. It's not that they are writing in bad faith,
> they really don't know that, for example, just because their
> competitor has written an article doesn't mean that they should write
> an article about their own company. Sad, really.
Getting back to the initial complainant:
http://howwikipediaworks.com/ch10.html covers all sorts of things that
are also not well known generally, but probably cannot so easily be
found on the site. For example, bot edits were (a more ranty) part of
the complaint, and they are dealt with in that discussion. That book
chapter has no official status at all, of course: but in comparison the
suite of policy pages and help pages is unambitious in actually
explaining how the system functions, in the round. There is a proper
distinction to be made between "user-friendliness" and simple
"friendliness", of course, but it doesn't seem entirely helpful to have
two separate discussions going on, one on "usability" at Foundation
level, and another on "the community" as self-criticism on the enWP
level, without some sort of model of this "life cycle" kind in the
background.

Charles