[WikiEN-l] you have to improve upon it before tagging it for speedy deletion

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 03:29:19 UTC 2009

The best PR we can do is to improve the improvable articles, and
explain to the authors of the others why the subjects are not suitable
for Wikipedia, or why the subjects might be, but the submitted
articles are not  capable of being used even as a base for rewriting.

Sometimes when I find a totally impossible article (such as complete
copyvio) on an important subject that interests me, I will decide to
write what amounts to a new article on that subject--and I call it an
improved version--but that's a polite  fiction. I am actually writing
an article using the original of the copied page as a source. True, at
this point I am more likely to do that than to write an article of my
own choosing, but I can't see any think they are obliged to do this.

Spending time  rewriting the best article possible on altogether
unencyclopedic subjects that will inevitably be deleted does not help
build the encyclopedia--rather the authors should be guided towards
more fruitful subject matter.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.