[WikiEN-l] Newbie and not-so-newbie biting

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 23:37:51 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 3:47 PM, Emily Monroe <bluecaliocean at me.com> wrote:
>> Editors/admins who are regularly rude to others are not only
>> tolerated by most of the community, they often have a group of
>> supporters around them always ready to praise everything they do,
>> manipulating RfCs and other voting (sorry, !voting) situations.
>
> Do you think that civility blocks and bans pre-arbcom will help the
> situation at all?
>
>> If we want to make WP more friendly, we have to make sure admins and
>> high-profile editors are actually trying to BE friendly.  If they
>> can't handle that, they shouldn't be working in a collaborative
>> environment.
>
> Exactly the reason why I support civility blocks.

It needs to be a continuous process:  civility encouragement, civility
notes, civility warnings, civility final warnings, civility blocks,
etc.

And it needs to be more consistent across experience levels.  Well
known, active experienced admins or editors who become or remain
uncivil can do damage much faster and wider than newbies who fling a
F-word at someone who reverted them.

Unfortunately, that takes very significant time and effort to be
active about.  It particularly takes time and effort when the abuser
is well known and active - as it inevitably ends up on ANI and that
then can go in any random direction depending on who cares and what
the communal mood is that day.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com