[WikiEN-l] Newbie and not-so-newbie biting

Emily Monroe bluecaliocean at me.com
Fri Sep 18 22:03:01 UTC 2009

> For how long could I do this before I get blocked?
Quite a long time, if at all, I'm afraid. You would probably get a
WQA, RFC, and an arbitration case justifying your actions long after
there's any discussion of blocking you. More than likely, you'd be
banned from new page patrolling, and blocked when you don't follow
that ban if it gets to ARBCOM.

> How many could I scare away?
Many new people, and a few oldsters, as well.

>  When you come across an article wrongly tagged for speedy deletinon
> or prod, do you check up on the user who tagged it?
As a non-admin new page patroller, I wish more admins did just as you
have suggested above. That way I am more likely to learn from my
mistakes.

> Of course an article created a minute ago is being actively worked on.
That's almost always true, but every so often it isn't. If the above
isn't true, it's usually made by a school kid, or someone "in the
know" of what's considered to be courteous enough to publish their
article when the article is done.

> Yes there is {{Hangon}} but how would a newcomer know about that,
> and why should they?
Is there any way to make it more blatant about what to do when your
article has been tagged for speedy deletion?

> If this is technically difficult then NPP should be modified.

Yes, this is technically difficult, and it would be technically
difficult for NPP to be anything else than other what it is,
unfortunately. It would be hard for a bot to be accurate in knowing
what is an attack page, and what isn't, what is a copyvio and what is
in the public domain, etc. and to hide any other article for an hour.
I really can't think of any other way NPP could be modified.