[WikiEN-l] Wikimedian image restorations exploited on eBay

Durova nadezhda.durova at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 20:28:07 UTC 2009

A new creative copyright is generated each time a tourist stands beneath the
Venus de Milo and takes a snapshot due to the inherent creative decision in
choosing angle and lighting when photographing three dimensional artwork.
Creative copyright also attaches when the same tourist heads over to the
Mona Lisa and takes another snapshot, since the frame around the Mona Lisa
is three dimensional (there's also the creative joy of capturing dozens of
tourist ballcaps in the periphery).

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Derivative_works

Compare that creative effort to--for example--the creative intuition of
reconstructing Admiral David Farragut's eyes.  This was the man who said,
"Damn the torpedoes.  Full speed ahead!"  Working on his portrait at 700%
resolution, I was fascinated by that quote.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:AdmFarragut.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Adm2.jpg

At the time of that work I was thinking if it came out right, a viewer might
imagine for an instant that Admiral Farragut was capable of turning and
ordering another assault on New Orleans.  Of course with eyes a few pixels
moved and the expression could have turned out entirely different.

-Durova

http://durova.blogspot.com/