[WikiEN-l] [Wikitech-l] Article metadata separation from main wikitext

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 17:14:12 UTC 2009

Having various reference techniques is very useful for people writing
articles, who can choose whatever they feel comfortable with; having
multiple simultaneous techniques is  not quite as helpful for people
trying to make small edits and fixes in articles, or adding
references, because you need to be familiar with every individual one
of them you might encounter.  Personally, for example, I never use the
cite templates if I'm adding refs to an unreferenced article,   but i
need to know them in case I work on an article already using them. And
similarly with every possibility.
I would rather have to learn any one thing, whether or not I dislike
it, than need to learn them all. I recognize of course that this tends
to inhibit experiment and improvement.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.