[WikiEN-l] Newbie and not-so-newbie biting

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 15:47:10 UTC 2009

" the overwhelming majority of speedily deleted articles deserve to be
so." -- yes, so they do. But of the people who contribute them, many
can be encouraged to learn how to write adequate articles and perhaps
become regular contributors. People who write inadequate unsourced
promotional articles can be simply rejected, or alternatively  helped
to write good ones or at least realize and understand  why their topic
is unsuitable and respect us for our standards.  If one out of ten
respond favorably to our endeavors, we'll gain 100 good contributors a
day.

What is required is the patience to deal properly with all of them,
although only a minority will respond as we would like them to. That
minority is a lot of people, and we need them. It is worth a day's
effort,  to rescue for us one contributor and possibly their article.
It's not the articles we need, as much as the contributors, with the
possibility of interesting them in working on other ones also.

All comments at wikipedia that include the phrase "just another "
ignore the possibility of working with the individuals.  There may be
common types of bad articles, but each has a person behind it, and
there are no people who are "just another"

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.