[WikiEN-l] SmartWikiSearch, a similarity search engine for Wikipedia

Aryeh Gregor Simetrical+wikilist at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 14:32:34 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 1:15 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Not me, the guy who did the website :-) It did occur to me to wonder
> if he'd just reinvented PageRank from first mathematical principles

I'm pretty sure the mathematics of PageRank are pretty well known.  My
linear algebra textbook (Lax's "Linear Algebra and Its Applications")
has a whole chapter on matrices with positive entries -- [[Perron's
Theorem]], principal eigenvectors and so on, exactly what these guys
are talking about.  The chapter even has a sentence somewhere in there
along the lines of "This is the principle underlying Google's search
algorithm."