[WikiEN-l] "Permission required" on copyright expired images...

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 18 13:39:47 UTC 2009

Is that "date taken" or "date published"? This is why provenance of
photographs (both photographer and publication details, and dates) is
important. You should also make clear *who* is saying that this
photograph was taken in 1903. Sometimes publication and photographed
dates are mixed up. Also, the location where something is published
can be important.

To cut a long story short, the more details you have, the better. The
fewer details you have, the more difficult it is to be definitive
about anything. And the requirements at Wikipedia and Commons for as
many details as possible, and a tendency to delete if any of those
details are missing, can make it difficult sometime.

Carcharoth