[WikiEN-l] Wikimedian image restorations exploited on eBay

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Thu Sep 17 13:24:43 UTC 2009

2009/9/17 Joseph Reagle <reagle at mit.edu>:
> On Wednesday 16 September 2009, Steve Bennett wrote:
>> Also, I'm confused. There is absolutely nothing at that page which
>> would indicate to me that I wasn't entitled to do what that eBay
>> seller did. It even says "The right to use this work is granted to
>> anyone for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions
>> are required by law." Your name only appears once on the page, and it
>> doesn't say "attribution required" or "copyright" or anything like
>> that...
>
> This is what I said last time this issue came up, these pages are confusing in
> what some think are the appropriate way in which they should be used, and
> perhaps this could be clarified.

Yes, I'd agree here - the key is to figure out what we think the best
practice for reusing these images would be, perhaps come up with a
worked example or three, and then start looking at how to structure
the image-description pages so as to encourage and help reusers to do
this.

I wonder if we can persuade the usability people to look at image
description pages next...

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk