[WikiEN-l] Newyorkbrad's speech at Wikiconference New York

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Thu Sep 17 09:13:02 UTC 2009

Actually a point I felt was missing from NYB's talk, which took
"privacy" as general theme, was this: as we know from WP:NOT, Wikipedia
is not concerned with "indiscriminate" information. This ought to
provide some clear blue water between us and popular journalism, which
actually uses "indiscimination" quite often as a technique (e.g. twenty
things you didn't know about some reality TV star, or lists of peoplr
whose birthday is today). The argument put forth under the "where are
they now?" discussion should be considered under this heading, I
believe. Someone who won an Olympic medal 30 years ago is now pumping
gas? If we exclude that from the athlete's WP article, is it (a)
censorship, (b) respect for privacy, or (c) application of WP:NOT under
the general heading  of including the salient facts on someone, not
everything that has ever been printed?

Anyway, while the basic points that "privacy in the old sense of
protection from intrusive publication may not exist in the Internet age"
and "attack pages with high search engine prominence do work" may be
valid, I had this comment to make about the concluding section of the
talk, namely that we have our mission and it is not identical to tabloid
journalism.

Charles