[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia: the Journal

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 21:04:33 UTC 2009

2009/9/13  <WJhonson at aol.com>:
> If "wiki" means quick then it would be quick in that the time between
> writing and full publication should be much shorter than traditional in print
> journals.
>
> If "wiki" means anyone can edit it, then it wouldn't be a wiki.
> If wiki only means that *you* and your *peers* can quickly edit it online
> in a collaborative mode, than it would be a wiki.

In Hawaiian, "wiki" (or "wikiwiki", I think) means "quick". In English
it means a website that anyone can edit. You can restrict the editing,
but if you don't intend for your group of readers and your group of
writers to overlap heavily, then you shouldn't be using wiki software.
There are better ways for a small group to collaborate of material
intended for a much larger group to read.